The South African Football Association has apologised to the public for the SABC not broadcasting Saturday afternoon’s Bafana Bafana African Cup of Nations match against Nigeria.
The football body says they had been discussions with the public broadcaster to seek a resolution since early November, to broadcast the match and the Nelson Mandela Challenge game against Paraguay on Tuesday.
Safa made an R10-million rights offer and lowered it to R7.5-million, but the SABC declined the gesture.
In a statement, Safa says it’s done everything humanly possible to afford the SABC the opportunity to broadcast the match on its platforms.
The public broadcaster released a statement last night, saying that it made a commercially viable offer that would enable it to deliver football matches to South African audiences on SABC platforms and this offer was rejected by Safa.